POSITION: SYSTEMS ENGINEER, INTERMEDIATE
LOCATION: HALIFAX OR VANCOUVER
CATEGORY: PRODUCTION INFRASTRUCTURE
TYPE: FULL TIME, PERMANENT
IONICA is a specialized web hosting and devops company based in Vancouver, BC, Canada. We design, build, and manage infrastructure for high traffic and special case sites and applications. Our client list includes Sutton, the Government of British Columbia, the PNE, University of British Columbia, Young and Rubicam, and many others. We have a deep understanding of the technology and business needs of big brands and start-ups alike.
Our solutions employ technology specifically engineered to accomplish our clients’ business objectives, rather than the other way around, …and to blow away expectations. Read more on IONICA’s services at www.ionica.ca.
Our philosophy is one of partnership, aligned interests, and corporate stewardship. We view our clients, suppliers, and communities as partners in business. We work to align interests and goals so everyone wins, rather than simply striving for the best return to our own shareholders.
Making the world better is what drives us. Our values of justice, corporate responsibility, and sustainability aren’t just buzzwords we throw around in promotional materials or during pep talks. They are principals that guide how we run our business. We also donate a portion of our earnings and company time to charitable causes in the communities in which we operate.
WHAT IT’S LIKE TO WORK HERE
Pretty exciting. We operate on the cutting edge of web and Internet technology to deliver complex infrastructure for clients who depend on their applications to be the very best in the world. Our focus is on technology, premium quality product and performance for our clients, and fun!
As an early addition to our growing company, you will have the opportunity to help shape IONICA’s culture, reputation, and future. We offer a compensation and benefits package competitive with enterprise firms that includes extended medical, vision, and dental, and other perks.
Intermediate system engineers are primarily responsible for hosting infrastructure for IONICA’s clients. They are vital to ensuring the infrastructure we design, build, and manage is fast, secure, and reliable – the things our company is known for. As a systems engineer, our reputation for awsomeness in these areas would rely on you. So yeah, you’d be kind of a big deal around here.
- Daily duties include, but are not limited to:
- Build bulletproof new infrastructure, tuned for speed – server and network hardware, cabling, OS installation and tuning, application and service installation and configuration.
- Troubleshoot and solve complex problems – identify where problems lie (which service, what part of the code, etc).
- Communicate, collaborate, and work directly with clients, managers, and other technical staff.
- Respond to incidents – application, configuration, network, hardware issues and security events.
- Maintain virtual and physical systems and network devices – updates, configuration changes, improvements.
- Configure and manage monitoring systems.
- Conduct capacity planning.
- Contribute to design phase of infrastructure environments.
- Perform code deployments with one or more of a variety of tools, depending on the project.
- Be part of a 24/7/365 on-call rotation.
- Blow people’s minds with your commitment to excellence, reliability, and customer service.
- Minimum 3 years professional experience in the following:
- Linux — Internet and web focus preferred.
- MySQL/MariaDB — replication and clustering experience preferred (DRBD, Galera).
- Expert knowledge on Apache HTTP Server.
- Securing infrastructure and applications.
- Supporting applications in at least two of the following languages: Java, PHP, Ruby, or Python.
- Working with high-scale sites and infrastructure – high availability, high concurrent connections.
- High familiarity with standard Unix tool-kit – bash, sysstat, netcat, tcpdump, top, grep, etc.
- Solid understanding of security concepts – N/HIDS and IPS, Nmap, network analysis, vulnerability assessment, patch management, firewalls, et cetera.
- Comprehensive understanding of TCP/IP and networking, in general.
- Solid knowledge in load balancing, HAProxy and BigIP f5 preferred.
- Solid knowledge in monitoring technologies and techniques, Nagios preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Experience in the following is considered highly beneficial, though not required.
- Opcode and bytecode caching mechanisms (Opcache, APCu, APC, memcached).
- JBoss and/or Tomcat.
- Varnish and/or NGINX.
- Lucene derivitaves Elastic Search and/or Solr
- Red Hat/CentOS and Debian based distributions.
- Ansible, Puppet, or Chef
- Adobe Sitecore
- MSSQL (especially replication and clustering)
- Microsoft Windows Server and IIS
- Oracle databases
- Python programming for system automation
- Logstash or Graylog
- Redis, ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ
- Exceptional technical expertise and acumen. Extensive breadth and depth of knowledge in the field with an ability to pick up new tricks quickly.
- Self-starter and positive attitude.
- Thrives under pressure.
- Ability to solve problems efficiently.
- Asks questions, desire to constantly learn and improve.
- Unafraid of change and calculated experimentation.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Outstanding communication and people skills.
- Works well in groups and when flying solo.
- Willing to travel (5 – 10% annually). Halifax employees spend first 1 – 2 months at Vancouver office, expenses paid.
- Enjoys a fun, fast paced environment, challenge, and a high degree of variety.
- Big picture, divergent thinking.
- A sense of humour!
Compensation and Perks
- Exciting and interesting projects to work on – cutting edge technology, big clients, complex projects and use-cases.
- Competitive salary commensurate with skills and experience.
- Annual reviews with compensation increases based on performance.
- Annual profit sharing bonus based on individual and company performance. Bonus is doubled for truly outstanding performance.
- Super-fast i7 laptop with SSD to work on. We run Linux on the desktop here (your choice of distro).
- Sweet downtown Vancouver office with large opening windows, secure bike lock-up, showers, and free beer and snacks. If in Halifax, your own sweet home office, which probably also has bike lock-up, showers, beer, and snacks.
- Casual working environment with flexible work arrangements.
- IONICA is a social enterprise – we give a substantial amount of money and time to charitable and other wothwhile causes to promote a better world. Our areas of philanthropic focus are poverty, the environment, technology, and human rights. Your contribution at IONICA goes far beyond share price – it produces real benefit to our communities and planet.
Interested? Send your CV to apply [at] ionica [dot] ca
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest in IONICA.